The Osama talking head is back! Its latest rant, leaked to Al-Jazeera and the Western media earlier today, is clearly designed to rally the troops – but not the troops you may have expected. Osama is either auditioning for a role as a Political Science professor in American academia; or he is trying to rally his greatest band of allies: the Cindy Sheehan-Ward Churhill-anticapitalist left. The translated transcript is posted in .pdf format here; among his pearls of wisdom:
- Brags once again that 19 young men changed the destiny of America;
- refers to “neoconservatives”;
- presses the war quitters’ argument that Iraq is an out-of-control civil war;
- spreads the anti-Israel left’s specious argument that insists Jews were treated better in the Muslim world than in Europe;
- brings up the left’s favorite anti-American whipping sticks: treatment of Indians, and dropping the bombs on Japan;
- pushes wild undocumented statistics that will certainly become facts in the left-wing media: one million orphans and 650,000 dead in Iraq as a result of the American military;
- chastises the Democratic party for failing to stop the war;
- repeats the lie that the war in Iraq was based on lies;
- forwards the Kennedy assassination conspiracy theory that he was killed by “the corporations” for failing to escalate the Vietnam war;
- chastises America for failing to prosecute war criminals like Cheney and Rumsfeld;
- Gives a hat-tip to Noam Chomsky: “This war was entirely unnecessary, as testified to by your own reports. And among the most capable of those from your own side who speak to you on this topic and on the manufacturing of public opinion is Noam Chomsky, who spoke sober words of advice prior to the war, but the leader of Texas doesn’t like those who give advice”. Couldn’t have been said better by an average Daily Kos’er!
- repeats the Marxist didactic theory of American history: that the corporations create war and manipulate events for sheer profit, using the proletariat as cannon fodder;
- Calls the American political system and corporations “the real terrorists”;
- gets in a global warming-Kyoto Accord dig (seriously!);
- panders to the anti-globalization crowd once again: “The capitalist system seeks to turn the entire world into a fiefdom of the major corporations under the label of ‘globalization’ in order to protect democracy; then talks about high taxes, real estate mortgages, and poverty in Africa – all left-wing bones of contention;
This is where his speech gets interesting: after spending most of his time pandering to left-wing sensibilities and grievances, he concludes by attempting to persuade the viewer to turn to Islam as the only possible alternative to capitalism and democracy! It’s like a cheap sales pitch, with a bold, clumsy call-to-action.
Why is this all significant? For one, it shows how pathetic the left is – that all of its sacred cows, grievances and hatreds are so easily used by a clown like Bin Laden in a call to convert to Islam. Secondly, it shows the greater aim of Bin Laden and his acolytes: that the goal is not just to bring down America or Israel; it is to bring pure Islamic rule to every corner of the Earth.
Of course it will never happen – freedom is a promise from God that even the most hardened self-hating Berkeley sophomore instinctively understands, and even the most deluded knows that there is no freedom in Islam. But the problem is that Bin Laden and his followers accept no boundaries in their battle; death and destruction follow their sad losers’ calls wherever they go.